Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wishful Thinking Technique

Applied properly, this approach can free you from unnecessary but unrecognized assumptions that you are making about the scenario of concern.

Procedure for Use

Generally, the steps to follow in applying the technique are as follows:

1. State the question, goal, situation, or problem.

2. Assume anything is possible.

3. Using fantasy, make statements such as: ‘What I really want to do is...’ or If I could choose any answer to this question, it would be....’

4. Examine each fantasy and their statements and, using this as a stimulation, return to reality and make statements such as: ‘Although I really cannot do that, I can do…’ or ‘It seems impractical to do that, but I believe we can accomplish the same thing by....’

5. If necessary, repeat Steps 3 and 4.

Example for Use

1. How can I learn more about how customers use my product?

2. I can be any size or shape I want.

3. I will just step inside one of the products shipped today and peer out at my customer and observe how he or she uses the product.

4. Well, I don’t think I can accomplish that feat, but I can get a customer’s agreement to let me observe my product under use their facility and videotape employees at work using my product.

No comments:

Post a Comment